I am definitely not a professional, but I have personally dealt with mental illness for years now. If you really need professional help, go and get it. There were a couple people asking me how they can cope, so here’s a couple different things you can do to help deal with mental illness.
- Talk to a professional/loved one - Don’t be afraid to talk about your problems to a trusted friend or a professional. This could help get your emotions out, so you can calmly figure out how to solve your problem. Plus, if no one knows about your problems, no one can help you
- Try to stay positive - Sometimes you can be your own enemy. Try to maintain a positive attitude in your daily life, because if you don’t think you can get better, you won’t.
- Maintain somewhat of a schedule - Having a set schedule can help you get out of bed every morning and face the day. If you know what you have to do that day and when you have to do it, it makes life a lot less scary.
- Keep yourself busy - Although it’s good to re-evaluate yourself sometimes, thinking about yourself all the time can be destructive. Try to distract yourself from these intrusive thoughts by moving around and getting things done. Plus, you’ll feel the satisfaction of accomplishing something that day, so it’s a win win.
- Do activities you actually enjoy - Try to do things you want to do. Don’t make yourself do things that you used to enjoy, just because you feel like you should enjoy them. Make yourself happy. Also, doing things you like doing, channels all of those negative feelings into something meaningful.
Also, please take the time to check out the new counselor at our school based health center!